Thrilled that my stories, “Repent” (in Gutted: Beautiful Horror Stories) and “The Offering on the Hill” (in Chiral Mad 3) were both honorable mentions / long-listed for Best Horror of the Year. Both anthologies were also nominated for the Bram Stoker Award. Wow, what an honor, thrilled. Thank you Michael Bailey, Doug Murano, and D Alexander Ward for the continued support, faith, and guidance. Onward and upward!
So, wow, this has been a long time coming. I’m a big fan of the work that Michael Bailey has been doing at Written Backwards (now a Dark Regions Press imprint). I was in Chiral Mad 2, and Qualia Nous, and if I can keep up with him, I hope to publish more stories with him in the future. I’m not only really impressed with the cover art, and interior illustrations by Glenn Chadbourne (see below), but by the extensive table of contents. My story, “The Offering on the Hill” (illustrated below, with the NORTH sign) is included in this wonderful anthology—over 6,000-words long, one of the longest stories I’ve ever written, and hopefully one of my best. In many ways this story is a bit of an homage to Stephen King and The Dark Tower series. I hope you’ll pick up your copy of Chiral Mad 3 today. I’m think it could be one of the best anthologies published this year. (NOTE: Don’t miss out on the $150 signed/limited edition. Everybody but King is going to sign it!) Introduction by Chuck Palahniuk, too!
01. The Poetry of Life – Richard Chizmar
02. The Last Rung on the Ladder – Stephen King
03. A Rift in Reflection – Hal Bodner
04. Windows, Mirrors, Doors – Jason V Brock
05. Prayer – Mort Castle
06. The Agonizing Guilt of Relief – Paul Michael Anderson
07. The Black Crow of Boddinstraße – Emily B. Cataneo
08. A Flash of Red – Erinn L. Kemper
09. Red Runner vs. The Surgeon, Issue 18 – Jessica May Lin
10. The Dead Collection – Mercedes M. Yardley
11. Watch Me – Meghan Arcuri
12. The Bigger Bedroom – Josh Malerman
13. That Perilous Stuff – Scott Edelman
14. Know Your Code – Ramsey Campbell
15. 3-Dot People – Gene O’Neill
16. Silver Thread, Hammer Ring – Gary A. Braunbeck
17. Those Who Watch From on High – Eric J. Guignard
18. Blood Dust – Max Booth III
19. The Offering on the Hill – Richard Thomas
20. The Whipping Girls – Damien Angelica Walters
21. Seconds – Jack Ketchum
01. Fair – P. Gardner Goldsmith
02. Fail-Safe – Jonathan Balog
03. Folie à Deux – Sydney Leigh
04. Reflecting on Reflections – Bruce Boston
05. Mirror Image – Marge Simon
06. Black River #1 – Elizabeth Massie
07. Prescience – Rose Blackthorn
08. The Speed of Sound – Ciarán Parkes
09. Welcome Home, Darling – Stephanie M. Wytovich
10. Whisper #1 (A Warning) – Erik T. Johnson
11. Whisper #2 (A Prophecy) – Erik T. Johnson
12. Put Me to Dream -Stephanie M. Wytovich
13. Recognizing Trees – Ciarán Parkes
14. Arbitration – Rose Blackthorn
15. Black River #2 – Elizabeth Massie
16. Reflections Through the Raven’s Eye – Marge Simon
17. Beyond Symmetry – Bruce Boston
18. Folie à Plusieurs – Sydney Leigh
19. Insomnia in Reverse – Jonathan Balog
20. Promise – P. Gardner Goldsmith
Today we will give away another lifetime membership at the $26,000 mark. We also have a lot of great rewards still left (although 13 have already sold out) including postcards, editing packages, books, videos, classes and more! Consider joining or upgrading today!
NEW REWARD ADDED!
Michael Bailey will design a full wraparound book cover. Previous cover design includes the Bram Stoker Award nominated QUALIA NOUS, THE LIBRARY OF THE DEAD, and the CHIRAL MAD anthologies. As a bonus perk, he will also Tuckerize you (or someone you know, with their permission) as a main character in an original short story. Michael is the founder of Written Backwards, the Managing Editor of Science Fiction for Dark Regions Press, and a multi-award winning author and editor of speculative fiction. (This is a great price, I routinely pay $1,000 for cover and layout of my books at Dark House Press, with original art alone running $300-500.)
Last minute Valentine’s Day Gift? WHY YES! How about a subscription to Gamut!?!? (I know, I’m starting to sound like the Ronco guy. Should I throw in a set of steak knives?) But really, and I’ll post about this tomorrow, what separates the fiction we’re going to publish from a lot of places is the HEART that’s in our stories. I have to feel something in order to care, and the authors (and stories) I’ve already solicited definitely get an emotional response out of me. I’m adding in a special reward today—one for you, and one for a friend, significant other, spouse, or peer.
Check out this amazing illustration by Glenn Chadbourne that will accompany my story, “The Offering on the Hill” which will be appearing in Chiral Mad 3, edited by Michael Bailey, at Written Backwards. Who else is in this anthology so far? Some pretty amazing authors—Stephen King, Gene O’Neill, Ramsey Campbell, Jessica May Lin, Paul Michael Anderson, Jason V. Brock, and Mercedes M. Yardley. More news to come.
Love the cover art, and this TOC is so amazing. Honored to have my story “Playing With Fire” in here. It’s got more wolves, fireflies, a hut on a hill, a man alone trying to fix his broken heart, and a giant tree branch that may be his undoing.
Looks like Michael Bailey and Written Backwards have done a great job with this.
1. “TIGHT PARTNERS” by GENE O’NEILL
2. “THE CHUTE” by GARY McMAHON
3. “WELCOME HOME, ALL YOU UNINVITED” by ERIK T. JOHNSON
4. “INTERFERENCE” by ANDREW HOOK
5. “THE WORD” by RAMSEY CAMPBELL
6. “THE COUNSELOR” by MORT CASTLE
7. “ORANGE IS FOR ANGUISH, BLUE FOR INSANITY” by DAVID MORRELL
8. “THE RIGHT THING” by JACK KETCHUM
9. “FLOWERS BLOOMING IN THE SEASON OF ATROPHY” by MAX BOOTH III
10. “ANOTHER MAN’S BONES” by MASON IAN BUNDSCHUH
11. ”WHITECHAPEL” by P. GARDNER GOLDSMITH
12. ”PLAYING WITH FIRE” by RICHARD THOMAS
13. ”A GUIDE TO ETIQUETTE AND COMPORTMENT FOR THE SISTERS OF HENLEY HOUSE” by EMILY CATANEO
14. ”EMPATHY” by JOHN SKIPP
15. ”MNEMONICIDE” by JAMES CHAMBERS
16. “PASSING AFFLICTION” by PATRICK O’NEILL
17. “PICTURE-IN-PICTURE” by DUSTIN LaVALLEY
18. ”WHEN I WAS” by THOMAS F. MONTELEONE
19. ”DEAR BOY” by JOHN BIGGS
20. ”SCAVENGING” by KEVIN LUCIA
21. ”THE GEMINIS” by JOHN PALISANO
22. “IN THE EYES OF THE BEHOLDER” by ANN K. BOYER
23. “THE TENDED FIELD OF EIDO YAMATA” by JON MICHAEL EMORY
24. “INDIAN SUMMER” by PHILIP C. PERON
25. “APPROACHING LAVENDER” by LUCY A. SNYDER
26. “THE GREAT PITY” by GARY A. BRAUNBECK
27. “BLOOD WOMEN” by USMAN T. MALIK
28. “VERSIONS” by E.L. KEMPER
Thrilled to join Jack Ketchum, Ramsey Campbell, Mort Castle, Max Booth III, Gene O’Neill, Gary MacMahon, Erik T. Johnson, Andrew Hook, David Morrell, and many others in this anthology of psychological horror, edited by Michael Bailey for Written Backwards press, and out this December. Chiral Mad was nominated for a number of awards, and even won a few, so I have great expectations for this anthology.
In my story, “Playing With Fire,” expect wolves, fireflies, waking up in a field, a lost love, a hut on a hill—you know, the usual. Honored, humbled, and stoked.